Mental Health Awareness Week
Myth Buster 1
- " If one has any mental health problem or seeks help from a psychiatrist he is PSYCHIC / MAD/ INSANE"
- According to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, By the American Psychiatric Association there are "297" different types of mental illness.
- And the vaguely, indiscriminately used words like PSYCHIC, MAD, INSANE usually refer to Schizophrenia which is only 1 diagnosis out of 297.
- A medical student getting stressed because of nearing exam, unable to sleep, concentrate and continuously worrying.
- A widow not able to get out of grief of losing her husband , crying and wanting to die herself.
- A drug addict unable to stop using drugs and having uncontrollable craving making him put his entire life at stake.
- A 65 year old grandmother failing to recognise her granddaughter, forgetting the way to bathroom in her own home.
- A young beautiful woman who is highly critical of her bodily apperance and straving herself to zero figure.
- A child of 9 who still wets the bed every night , is embarrased , gloomy and refuses to go school.
- A highly sensitive emotional young woman, who feels abandoned if her boyfriend criticizes her or misses her call, gets angry easily and threatens to kill herself.
- An apparently healthy man who has multiple bodyaches and is preoccupied with his health concerns, visits multiple doctors who say he is absolutely fine.
NONE of these people mentioned above are PSYCHIC or INSANE or MAD.
They had deviations either in behavior, emotional control and thinking.
Seeking psychiatric help to have-healthy thought process -healthy emotional processing -healthy behaviors
should thus be promoted rather than continuing to suffer out of ignorance.
#mentalhealthawareness #myth #Mentalhealth #Mentalhealthmyth